Monday, March 30, 2009

Embarrassed

Norman Mailer once said that sometimes you say or write something and then you feel like breaking eggs over your head. That's how I feel about the dumb comment I made about gay-bashing. It's not over. It still goes on. Discrimination continues, too.
I just heard a young woman describe a case to me on Saturday where a biased pig judge gave felonies to a group of black lesbians who were defending themselves against a male attacker. Another person, a man, fought against the attacker too but got away and was never identified. The more you talk to people, the more you learn.

P.S. to that: It was when I started doing substance abuse counseling, talking to addicts as well as their kids (I also did child care) that I began to clearly see that none of us, not one, had a satisfactory childhood. There's always someone, something to blame for what went wrong. Never, ever, has it been "Happy Days" for anybody, or even "Father Knows Best."

No comments: